Description of perlite
The Perlite is a natural volcanic glass formed by the rapid cooling of lava while trapping water in its body. The ability to swell at extreme temperatures as 800-950ο Celsius is the most important characteristic, which is due to the presence of the trapped water. Its volume increases 10-20 times with a corresponding decrease in its specific gravity, obtaining high porosity and significant thermal and sound insulation properties.
Applications of Perlite
- In farming works as soil enhancement
- In agricultural and hydroponics works
- Sound and heat insulation into floors and walls
- Heat protection constructions in foundries
- In industrial works
- In phosphate fertilizers as an additive in the production
Physical Features of the Perlite
- Chemically inert.
- Light (low specific gravity).
- Thermal insulation.
- Easy to use.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Neutral PH.
- Not affecting metals.